Customized an Alarm for specific days

Hi Everyone,

I am newbie on foglight so I hope you can help me. 

I understand that each alarm has values by default (Global Values) that comes from the threshold that are set by default on each Metric.

My goal is to customized DBSS - DeadLocks Alarm for an instance (for example)

Based on a daily report i get from reports module I see that the amount of Dead locks change between week (100-400 deadlocks) and weekend ( 0 - 99 deadlocks)

So my approach is to have an alarm that if amount of deadlocks > 400 then alarm as warning during the week and

if the amount of deadlocks > 100 then alarm as warning during the weekEND.

How Can I get that ?

Is there any other approach to customized DBSS - DeadLocks Alarm ?

AM i getting the right average amount of deadlocks from Health Check Reports ?

Many Thanks for your support

Parents
  • Hello,

it should be possible to change the condition of the rule so it triggers differently depends on the day of the week.
    But you need to do some coding. One option I can image is adding an if/else structure in the condition like:
    if (Monday-Friday){
         Condition 1
         }
    else {
        Condition 2
        }

I'm not sure how familiar you are with coding. If needed you can involve our PSO team to get this done. Contact your Quest account manager he/she can provide further details about PSO consultant.

I hope that helps.

Let's see if someone else if having further ideas for this request.

Kind Regards

Nicola

• Thanks for your feedback Nicola.

The point is that setting up conditions on the rule will have a global scope 

and most likely there is a need to have another registry variable (for the weekend), right?.

I notice that the default code in rule is the following and have just one fixed registry variable (DBSS-LocksDeadlocks_Low):

condition = (#number_of_deadlocks# >= registry("DBSS-LocksDeadlocks_Low"));
    return Dbwc_Common_SQL_Server_IsNeedToSendAlarm(scope, "DBSS - Deadlocks", "2", condition);

The idea is to customize the alarm for days and for instance.

I wonder if I can have two deadlocks rules (both copied from the original and add a blockout for the week and weekend so so they can work accordingly)

I wonder if my approach to customize the deadlock alarm make sense taking into consideration the metrics i get from health check report.

Or Is there any other approach that fit better  based on Foglight Features?

Thanks

• Thanks for your feedback Nicola.

The point is that setting up conditions on the rule will have a global scope 

and most likely there is a need to have another registry variable (for the weekend), right?.

I notice that the default code in rule is the following and have just one fixed registry variable (DBSS-LocksDeadlocks_Low):

condition = (#number_of_deadlocks# >= registry("DBSS-LocksDeadlocks_Low"));
    return Dbwc_Common_SQL_Server_IsNeedToSendAlarm(scope, "DBSS - Deadlocks", "2", condition);

The idea is to customize the alarm for days and for instance.

I wonder if I can have two deadlocks rules (both copied from the original and add a blockout for the week and weekend so so they can work accordingly)

I wonder if my approach to customize the deadlock alarm make sense taking into consideration the metrics i get from health check report.

Or Is there any other approach that fit better  based on Foglight Features?

Thanks

Children