A backup step failed inside a maintenance plan with error -1073548784

Hi,

We have an existing SQL server maintenance plan that has 3 steps:

1) Full backup of database A

2) Full backup of database B

3) Full backup of databases C to J (total of 8 databases)

Each of these 3 steps have been changed to use Litespeed, the error occurred while backing up database H (the 6th on the list) on step 3, the error is -1073548784

The error message: Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

The output of the .bak files are pointed to a remote shared directory, with backup creates individual directory for each database.

There is an almost identical plan that has the output .bak files pointed to a local directory, which ran successfully yesterday.

The question is why the backup failed in the middle of the step, which is basically repeatable for each database on the list (of 8 databases) ?

Worst still, Litespeed shows that backup of database H was completed, but when I tried to recover one table from it, Litespeed failed and said the backup is not a full type !

I tried to recover from database G (the one before H), and it was OK.

Checking with our IT support team, there was no network issue at the time the backup failed.

Does anyone have similar issue before ? And how it can be resolved ?

Thx,

Cam

Parents
  • Hello, 

We have no answer to your question since we require more data about the environment and logs.

Please open a support case for the invesigation.

Thank you.

Alexander.

• Hi Alexander,

We are still in the process of testing Litespeed as our backup solution, not sure if we can open a support case while using the trial license ?

Basically you are using the latest Litespeed version on our 2016 SQL server environment.

To us, this seems to be an intermittent issue/bug, as I check the generated script, it is a single command with the list of database names as parameter:

execute master..xp_slssqlmaint N''-BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB "\\NMMSTORAGE\SQLBackups$\DMREPORTS\SQL_backup" -CrBkSubDir -BkExt "bak" -Retaindays 1 -Exclude Deleted Offline LogShippng ReadOnly -Logging 0 -CompressionLevel 2 -Default "%D_%T_%Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S.%EXT%" -OPTOLR -LogEngine 0 -RunId "FED48A1B-BB73-4077-BA0C-10C19711DE34" "Back Up Others (Full) (DMREPORTS)" -NO_OUTPUT -D "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "H" "I" "J" ''
    GO

The backup failed while processing database "H". The resulting .bak file is slightly smaller than its usual size, which suggests that the backup of H didn't complete, and we can't restore from that .bak file.

Regards,

Cam

• Hello Cam,

You can still open a case with support even if you are just testing the product. Do you have a sales rep? If so, they can aid you with opening  a support case.

Please note we would need to review Litespeed logs and a support bundle in order to investigate further why the backup of database "H" failed.

Without that data there is not much to go on. 

Sadly the error you see "Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly." is a generic one that can have many possible causes.

Thanks,

-Ben-

• Also one other note..

You state..

The backup failed while processing database "H". The resulting .bak file is slightly smaller than its usual size, which suggests that the backup of H didn't complete, and we can't restore from that .bak file.

It possible this is an existing bug. If so, we would again need the log files to confirm and send you a possible patch.

Hope that helps,

-Ben-

• Hi Ben,

Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, Litespeed shows that backup of H is complete.

Unfortunately after this incident, I found that we didn't have verbose logging turned on. Unless there is a log file hidden somewhere, I don't know what else I can retrieve.

Meanwhile, we will continue our testing until the trial license expires on Oct 18. Just hope that we will hit this issue again.

Regards,

Cam

• Hello Cam,

I would still advise opening a support case so that other data such as a support bundle can be collected (A support bundle will tell us a lot about your system and the setup of Litespeed).

We can review the backup file itself which can be used to verify if the issue is a known one.

And also review how you run the backup (backup template, Litespeed UI , maintenance plan or just a TSQL script)

At the very least if the problem resurfaces we can help with troubleshooting right away.

Hope this helps,

-Ben-

• Hello Cam,

Here are some troubleshooting steps the team suggest you perform.

Please run the TSQL below and let us know the results of each run.

execute master..xp_slssqlmaint N'-BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB "\\NMMSTORAGE\SQLBackups$\DMREPORTS\SQL_backup" -CrBkSubDir -BkExt "bak" -Retaindays 1 -Exclude Deleted Offline LogShippng ReadOnly -Logging 2 -CompressionLevel 2 -Default "%D_%T_%Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S.%EXT%" -OPTOLR -LogEngine 2  -D "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "H" "I" "J" '

GO

2nd (no OLR)

execute master..xp_slssqlmaint N'-BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB "\\NMMSTORAGE\SQLBackups$\DMREPORTS\SQL_backup" -CrBkSubDir -BkExt "bak" -Retaindays 1 -Exclude Deleted Offline LogShippng ReadOnly -Logging 2 -CompressionLevel 2 -Default "%D_%T_%Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S.%EXT%" -LogEngine 2  -D "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "H" "I" "J" '

GO

3dr - no retain days

execute master..xp_slssqlmaint N'-BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB "\\NMMSTORAGE\SQLBackups$\DMREPORTS\SQL_backup" -CrBkSubDir -BkExt "bak"  -Exclude Deleted Offline LogShippng ReadOnly -Logging 2 -CompressionLevel 2 -Default "%D_%T_%Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S.%EXT%" -LogEngine 2  -D "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "H" "I" "J" '

GO

Thanks,

-Ben-

• Hi Ben,

Does each of these queries perform real backup ? If yes, we can only run them in a fixed time window.

Also, I just found some logs from the last failed backup, and it may give you more detailed information (please note that in my original quoted script, database names were replaced by C to J, but the below logs are not altered):

Executed as user: NT Service\SQLSERVERAGENT. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 13.0.5366.0 for 64-bit  Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft. All rights reserved.    Started:  6:30:00 PM  Progress: 2019-10-08 18:30:00.56     Source: {084ABEE4-29F5-4240-B72A-28FECD0D4A43}      Executing query "DECLARE @Guid UNIQUEIDENTIFIER EXECUTE msdb..sp_ma...".: 100% complete  End Progress  Error: 2019-10-08 22:34:03.69     Code: 0xC002F210     Source: Back Up Others (Full) Execute SQL Task     Description: Executing the query "execute master..xp_slssqlmaint N'-BkUpMedia DISK -..." failed with the following error: "LiteSpeed(R) for SQL Server(R) Version 8.8.0.376 (64bit)  Copyright 2019 Quest Software Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.      Msg 49999, Level 0, State 0, Line 0: <MESSAGES>  <INFO>LiteSpeed(R) for SQL Server(R) Version 8.8.0.376 (64bit)  Copyright 2019 Quest Software Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.</INFO>  <INFO/>  </MESSAGES>LiteSpeed(R) for SQL Server(R) Version 8.8.0.376 (64bit)  Copyright 2019 Quest Software Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.      Msg 49999, Level 0, State 0, Line 0: <MESSAGES>  <INFO>LiteSpeed(R) for SQL Server(R) Version 8.8.0.376 (64bit)  Copyright 2019 Quest Software Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.</INFO>  <INFO/>  </MESSAGES>".   End Error  Warning: 2019-10-08 22:34:03.69     Code: 0x80019002     Source: Subplan_1      Description: SSIS Warning Code DTS_W_MAXIMUMERRORCOUNTREACHED.  The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (1) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors.  End Warning  DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).  Started:  6:30:00 PM  Finished: 10:34:03 PM  Elapsed:  14643.7 seconds.  The package execution failed.  The step failed.

Regards,

Cam

• Hello Cam,

Does each of these queries perform real backup ? If yes, we can only run them in a fixed time window.

Yes, each of them will perform a backup.

We would need to review the whole log for Litespeed specific data and messages.

The error in your post is generated by SQL agent. Its a common error message seen when a Litespeed maintenance plan fails.

However, I will pass along the data you have provided to the rest of the team for their review.

Thanks,

-Ben-

• Hello Cam,

Based on the data we have so far it is recommended that you upgrade to the latest version of Litespeed . (Build 8.8.0.411 you'll need to open a support case to get that version). 

Thanks,

-Ben-

Reply Children
No Data