This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Updating Metalogix Essentials and better Monthly Scheduled backup options

Hello,

I have 2 questions below, I appreciate any help that can be provided!

1. Is there any plans to make updates to Metalogix Essentials available in the application without requiring a separate download and reinstall. Currently every time a new version comes out, I have to download and reinstall which is wiping out all of my scheduled backups!? This can't be the way it is meant to be? When I click the 'check for updates' button in the tool, it says I have the latest version (even when I do not have the latest version)??

2. Can I request that you create better monthly scheduled backup options besides the current offering (which only lets you select a specific # day for every month). It would be great if you could add the option to select the 'First Sunday', 'Second Sunday', 'Third Sunday', 'Fourth Sunday' of a month instead. This provides much more structure in a backup schedule instead of the current offering (the 15th of every month which will always be a different day each month). Is there any way to get a backup to run on the First Sunday, Second Sunday, etc... using the current options?

Parents
  • Hello again, doesn't seem like anyone responds to questions here.

Figured I would share an update on what I have found out by playing around myself.

1. I downloaded and installed the latest 2.16 version and it installed to a new folder location (Program files / Quest instead of the old Program Files / Megalogix). However this time it did keep all of my backup jobs in the backup navigator. I still have to re-setup each of the scheduled backups since those use a cmd that references the old Program Files / Metalogix however that shouldn't be a problem with future updates since they will all use Program Files / Quest going forward.

2. For the better monthly scheduled backups option, I found the following. When you create a monthly scheduled backup thru the tool, it only lets you select 1 date per month. However it then creates a task in Windows Task Scheduler that runs a cmd file which starts the backup. So I went into the task properties of Windows Task Scheduler and was able to select the '1st Sunday' of each month as I desire. While I haven't been able to test and verify this works, I believe it will since it is just calling the cmd file using Windows Task Scheduler. Figured I would share in case others had this desire (will update if it works).

Now I'm getting a separate issue that I will create a support ticket for (since it appears no one responds here).
    Out of no where, one of my backup jobs now gives errors when I try to expand it in the Backup Navigator. This is scary since it seems like it corrupted the entire backup job, meaning I can't access or restore any content from the entire backup job. Really hoping there is an easy fix for this and I don't lose all this backup content and have to create a new backup job and start over... thankfully I can browse the backup data directly in Azure Storage Explorer if needed but still scary that I can't use the Essentials tool to access all the backups for this job anymore!

Here is the error I get, but I will open a support ticket and update this post with a comment for other users to see in the future:

Error loading site data: Tree element '/Archive folder name/futures/-ff69ba92-43d3-3bdb-8f94-b3028c249d6a-' not found.

• Hello again, doesn't seem like anyone responds to questions here.

Figured I would share an update on what I have found out by playing around myself.

1. I downloaded and installed the latest 2.16 version and it installed to a new folder location (Program files / Quest instead of the old Program Files / Megalogix). However this time it did keep all of my backup jobs in the backup navigator. I still have to re-setup each of the scheduled backups since those use a cmd that references the old Program Files / Metalogix however that shouldn't be a problem with future updates since they will all use Program Files / Quest going forward.

2. For the better monthly scheduled backups option, I found the following. When you create a monthly scheduled backup thru the tool, it only lets you select 1 date per month. However it then creates a task in Windows Task Scheduler that runs a cmd file which starts the backup. So I went into the task properties of Windows Task Scheduler and was able to select the '1st Sunday' of each month as I desire. While I haven't been able to test and verify this works, I believe it will since it is just calling the cmd file using Windows Task Scheduler. Figured I would share in case others had this desire (will update if it works).

Now I'm getting a separate issue that I will create a support ticket for (since it appears no one responds here).
    Out of no where, one of my backup jobs now gives errors when I try to expand it in the Backup Navigator. This is scary since it seems like it corrupted the entire backup job, meaning I can't access or restore any content from the entire backup job. Really hoping there is an easy fix for this and I don't lose all this backup content and have to create a new backup job and start over... thankfully I can browse the backup data directly in Azure Storage Explorer if needed but still scary that I can't use the Essentials tool to access all the backups for this job anymore!

Here is the error I get, but I will open a support ticket and update this post with a comment for other users to see in the future:

Error loading site data: Tree element '/Archive folder name/futures/-ff69ba92-43d3-3bdb-8f94-b3028c249d6a-' not found.

Children
No Data