This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

++ List files during backup / see timestamp in log ++

Hello,

since a file to tape job for 4.8TB is taking about 12-13 hours I need to find out when and why the transfer rate is going down to around 868.11 KiB/sec or lower.
How can I see what file(s) is/are currently transferred to the tape in a live and/or a log file view? 

Kind regards
Jay

Parents
  • Hi

There is no way to see which file is being currently transferred, but have you increased the buffer size for each drive? it's ok when transfer rate goes down if it's for a short time (due to lot's of small files) but should not always go like that.

Let me know if you have increased the buffer size, that should help. Also increasing Shared Memory (Kb) Used for Process Table in client process manager helps but after increasing this last one you need to restart netvault services on the client.

• Hi

There is no way to see which file is being currently transferred, but have you increased the buffer size for each drive? it's ok when transfer rate goes down if it's for a short time (due to lot's of small files) but should not always go like that.

Let me know if you have increased the buffer size, that should help. Also increasing Shared Memory (Kb) Used for Process Table in client process manager helps but after increasing this last one you need to restart netvault services on the client.

Children
  • Hi ,

oh that is bad. Any logfile where I can see what file was transferred/saved with timestamp?

Currently backup is running (very slow) with:

Block Size: 64.00KiB
    Buffer Size: 512 MiB

A bit better it was with the following configuration:

Block Size: 256 KiB
    Buffer Size: 512 MiB

Block Size: 512KiB
    Buffer Size: 512 MiB

• Did you checked Shared Memory (Kb) Used for Process Table in client Process Manager? what value do you have?

What LTO drive gen you are using? LTO5, LTO 6, LTO7?

Is this only happening to one client?

How is attached the tape library?

Is this a File System backup?

GbE network? dedicated or shared?

Definitively for modern tape libraries you should try increasing buffer size and block size, just keep in mind that if a tape is written in 64k block size you need to blank it if you want to write in a different block size.

• Is the following link still up to date? https://support.quest.com/netvault-backup/kb/80027/tuning-nvbu-performance

We are using a LTO 7 tape drive, internal.
    It is a file backup of one server
    Yes, GbE, but this is not important in this case

• Well that KB was for previous versions when configurator existed, now a days in WebUI -> Change Settings -> Client Settings -> After selecting the client you will have "the tabs" General, Process Manager, etc

If this is only happening to this one server the shared memory used for process table should help (remember restart netvault services on client)

If this is not only happening to this one server and it's happening with most of your tape backups we should focus on other aspects.

About the GbE it is not important if the tape library is locally attached to that problematic server but if tape library is attached to Netvault Server then it needs to send data from problematic server to netvault server.