Expected Performance On Demand

Hi guys,

Can you give me an expected performance baseline for mailbox migrations? We're gonna try punch a fair few over a weekend but need to try and see if its possible. I realise that the number of items, size of items etc makes a huge difference as with all migraitons, so won't hold anyone to the numbers.

I heard 2Gb per hour per thread was reasonable. Seems a little conservative. I presume as this uses EWS we're looking at a single thread per mailbox right?

We have already increased EWS throttling to unlimtied for 90 days so we're good on that side.

Current migration of a single mailbox, which I presume is a single thread, has done 26Gb in 2.5hrs. So roughly 10Gb an hour per thread... not sure its reasonable to expect this will be sustained with many threads.

Does anyone know the max threads?

Parents
  • I think the answer is gleaned by trying to find out what Exchange Online's EWSMaxSubscriptions attribute is set to. Some people think its 20, I have a call with Microsoft so will find out from the horses mouth.

20 x 10 = 200Gb per hour across 20 threads - which is actually not too bad.

• Hello AC,

Thanks for posting to the On Demand Migration (ODM) forum. I understand that you have questions about the expected performance of the mailbox migration. We are not able to provide a baseline due to too many environmental factors outside of our control.

However, in answer to your question about the number of concurrent mailbox migrations, we would suggest keeping it below 5,000 mailboxes at a time.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Quest | Support

• Is that 5,000 the hard limit of EWS (as outlined here) - how does this translate into usable threads? I assume 5,000 migraitons would equal 5,000 threads?

Reply Children
No Data