What’s new with On-Demand Migration?
I am extremely excited to announce the newest addition to the Quest SaaS portfolio of On Demand Migration capabilities. Now with your On Demand advanced T5 subscription you will be able to migrate, consolidate and transform your Active Directory (AD) environments.
Either as a stand-alone project where you are only migrating AD or as part of your Tenant-to-Tenant hybrid migration project. Once you create a new project you will find a new workload called, “Active Directory”, as illustrated in this screen capture.
How does it work?
Once you have created your new project, simply click “Active Directory” to get started with your new project. When you enter the Active Directory module you will be asked to choose where to go next. There are two core components to choose from for On Demand Migrations for Active Directory.
- Directory Synchronization – This is where you will build and manage your workflows which provide continuous synchronization services for Active Directory and/or Azure Active Directory. To securely keep directories in sync, simply deploy at least one Directory Sync agent to the local Active Directory environment.
On Demand Directory Synchronization (DS) uses a metaverse to compare and calculate changes to objects. Objects will be read or discovered then paired or matched with each other to create relationships. Once matched and based on the workflow rules, update jobs will be created to modify an object’s properties when needed. When a workflow is run a new job will be created. The DS agent calls home over HTTPs to receive new jobs. When the jobs are completed, the results and changes are logged for administrators to review. Directory Sync also provides the means to discover local computers for On Demand Migrations for Active Directory.
- Active Directory – Here you will manage your Windows device (computer) migrations such as servers and user workstations between Active Directory domains or forests. Using a GPO or a 3rd party solution, you will silently push out an agent to each computer in your Microsoft network. Once the agent has been deployed, each machine will begin to self-register with On Demand Migration for Active Directory. Once a computer is registered you may begin sending jobs or tasks to the machine to prepare for AD migrations. When deploying agents there are two deployment options to choose from.
Standard Agent Configuration
In the Standard Configuration for On Demand Migration for Active Directory the agent is deployed to each Device to be migrated. Those agents communicate outbound, over ports 80/443 (every 4 hours, when a job is available, or when initially registering) to the On Demand Migration for Active Directory webserver, located in Microsoft Azure. They also communicate outbound to the On Demand Migration for Active Directory, Device Agent Cache Service (DACS) in Azure over UDP on port 3030 every 2 minutes.
Web Proxy Agent Configuration
In the Web Proxy Configuration for On Demand Migration for Active Directory the agent is deployed to each Device as normal, but it will be configured to communicate through a designated web proxy and port. Those agents will communicate outbound through the defined proxy port to the On Demand Migration for Active Directory webserver in Azure over port 443 (HTTPS) every 4 hours, when a job is available, or when initially registering. They also communicate outbound through the defined proxy port to the On Demand Migration for Active Directory, Device Agent Cache Service (DACS) in Azure but on port 80, every 2 minutes.
What features are available?
On Demand Migration for Active Directory solves all your classic Active Directory migration requirements in an easy to set up SaaS platform. There are no servers or databases to install, no trust to establish up-front and no network connectivity between environments is required. With On Demand Migration for Active Directory you can expect the following features, plus much more.
- Migrate Remote Workers with Offline Devices
- Migrate Permissions (ReACL)
- Migrate Windows Servers, Network Storage & File Shares
- Migrate and Maintain AD Passwords in Sync in Near-Real-Time (NRT)
- Maintain AD Coexistence with SID History Migrations
- GAL Synchronization
- Continuous Synchronization for New Hires, Leavers & Renames
- Directory Restructuring & Transformation
- Migration Rollback
- Build Custom Actions and Tasks to extend capabilities
- Add PowerShell Scripts to your Workflows
More Great News for Tenant-to-Tenant Migrations!
As previously outlined, On Demand Migration for Active Directory comes with Directory Synchronization services. Not only do these services provide a means to migrate, consolidation and transform your local on-premises Active Directories, it also provides connectivity for cloud based Microsoft Azure Active Directory.
This is welcomed news for our tenant-to-tenant customers that require short and long-term directory coexistence. If you are planning a tenant-to-tenant migration without an Active Directory migration, you can still utilize Directory Synchronization services independently. Directory Sync supports a wide range of use cases to fit all your coexistence needs.
- Sync Azure AD to Azure AD
- Sync Local Active Directory to Active Directory
- Sync Azure AD to & from Active Directory
- Mix and Match environments - One-to-One, One-to-Many,
Many-to-One, 1-way, 2-way, etc.
- Create & Sync Users, Guests, Groups, Contacts, Local Computers & OUs
- Sync & Transform Object Attributes and Properties
- Sync & Maintain Ownership & Membership
- Create or Invite Azure AD Business to Business (B2B) Accounts
- Create & Sync Unified Groups & Microsoft Teams
- Convert Distribution Lists to Office 365 Groups
Where can I learn more?
How can I try it?
If you want to schedule a demonstration or trial, please contact your sales representative today.