ODME modified plan resets all mailboxes to 'Created'

Hi, we have corrected 2 email addresses in a plan of 50 users (48 had Completed).  After saving the changes, now all 50 mailboxes look like they will start again (Status 'Created' and 0 items/percent).  Why does this happen and when we start it, what will happen?  i.e. will it consume licenses again for all 50 mailboxes? will it re-sync all mailboxes again from the beginning or just transfer updated items?  If it does restart, will it duplicate items in the target?

It seems to work in a convoluted way - why not just sync the mailboxes then do an incremental sync daily until we hit a 'Complete Plan' button?  I assumed this is how it would work, possibly incorrectly as I've also read that I should be migrating based on date ranges and that it is 'recommended', however this is not mentioned at all in the documentation.

If it does turn out we have duplicated items and we decide to delete the target data and re-migrate, can I delete all the current plans put all the users into a new plan and ODME will recognize they are licensed and do an incremental sync?

It's a shame this information and recommended approach are not covered in detail in the user guide.

Thanks, Simon

• Hello Simon,

Thanks for posting to the On Demand Migration for Email (ODME) forum. When you create a Plan in ODME, you are defining a batch of users that will be migrating together. It is not possible to just migrate certain users in the plan under most circumstances.

If there are particular users in an ODME migration plan whose migration is not successful, then we would recommend creating a new migration plan including only those unsuccessful users. You can start with a new blank migration plan and add unsuccessful users, or you can copy an existing migration plan, by clicking the Copy button, and choose to only include "Interrupted" users. Otherwise, if you were to run the original migration plan again, then those users who were successful on the first migration would be using up the second of 10 successful migrations included with their license. The users will not consume a "new" license, just consume an additional successful migration pass for their existing license.

ODME is designed with deduplication logic that is active regardless of which plan(s) the user was in when data was migrated. ODME will check to see if an item has already been migrated before trying to migrate it again. This KB article provides more details about re-migrating users with ODME. Using a date filter will reduce the amount of data that ODME will need to check. Usually old data doesn’t change much, so most customers perform an initial pass of anything older than 90 days (180 days, 1 year, etc), then they perform their delta migrations from that date forward for best performance. When using a date filter, we would suggest overlapping the date filter by 1 day to account for UTC.

If you delete the data in the target mailbox, you can run the existing plan. There is no need to delete the existing plans and create new plans. ODME is aware of license consumption between plans, so a user will only consume 1 license regardless of how many different plans they are migrated in. However, by default, each license includes 10 successful migrations. If you reach this limit, then you will need to create a Service Request for Quest Support.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Quest | Support

• Thank you for the detailed reply. You have set my mind at ease now I know I can modify the dates as well on the existing plans, and restart without consuming additional licenses (as long as I don't hit the 10x limit!).

Your help is much appreciated Sir =)