This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Moving everything to a new server.

We have a core with some machines that are being replicated.

The machines and the repository will go to a new server.

I've been looking around and found a few guides on moving the repository.

What I have in mind is installing a 2012 server that has more hardware resources that the one I currently have, but using the same repository.

I know I'll have downtime, I'm ok with whatever time it takes to move everything.

Just looking for suggestions on the recommended steps.

Thank you very much for your time.

• Are you migrating the 'source' core (the core that is sending the replications)? Or are you migrating the target core (the one that is accepting the incoming replications)?

As far as the migration, it sounds as though you are keeping the repo, and keeping it on the same hardware. Which can be added to a new core by simply exposing the Repo to the new core in the same manner as the previous (aka E:\repo or f:\repo) as before and then from the core go into Repositories and 'Open Existing':

support.quest.com/.../11

If the path is different you will have to update that path with the 'fix' option that is presented when you go to run through the Open Existing options. This will present you with the repo and the recovery points, and then when you add the agents/replication back in the existing recovery points will then populate underneath the protected machines as before as they will be tied to the same agent ID.

The Replication pieces might be different depending on what you are trying to do, so I'll wait for that reply, however that is the best way to move a repo from 1 core to another. Just be sure on the new core to reset your retention and nightly jobs/settings before they run.
  • Thanks phuffers.

We only have one core, it's not being replicated to another target core.

I want to remove the actual core from my environment.
    Then connect that repository to a new core, I will point the new core to the storage where the repository is located.

Then I would need to point the machines to the new core I guess?

Would that be the correct method?
  • That is correct. Sorry, I got the replication piece from the first line of the original post, no problem.

That is correct, you would:

1) Build new core
    2) Gracefully shutdown old core: support.quest.com/.../119400
    3) Expose repo to the new core, and then attach it: support.quest.com/.../11
    4) Then the core will show the agents on the left under 'recovery points only' so you will reprotect them (Protect > Protect Machine) point the new core to your agents
    5) Once protected your old RPs will move from 'recovery points only' to the Recovery points tab for the agents, and they will all be associated by agent ID.
  • Hi Eramos:

You may want to check KB#227314 (How to replace a RapidRecovery or AppAssure Core with minimal downtime). It gives you a step by step process and addresses some "gotchas" that you may encounter during moving your backup/replication from one core to another.

The case discussed in the KB takes into consideration an environment consisting from a source core performing backups which is replicating to a Target core. The Source core is the one to be replaced while keeping replication current.

Hope that this helps.

• Thanks for the information Tudor.Popescu.

Unfortunately I don't have the infrastructure to create another repository for the target core.

So I would have to stop the production core and open the repository in my new core afterwards...I think.