This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

An exchange mountability check has gotten stuck canceling, How can i gracefully clear the job and get RR going again?

Hello,

An exchange mountability check has gotten stuck canceling, it has been stuck for a few days. I saw this article where it said to restart the core service. Is this safe to do and the most graceful way to clear the job? It is holding up other jobs and holding up the exchange log truncation.

• What build of the core software are you running?

Hung mountability checks are generally caused by a deadlock in the code. We have had a couple of defects over time related to this issue specifically. In the last couple of builds (RR 6.0.2 and newer) we have not seen the same issues. So if you are on an older build, I highly recommend upgrading.

Unfortunately, a deadlock puts you in a tough situation because there is no way to break the deadlock gracefully. You have to kill the core service in order to do so. So the best thing you can do is to pause all jobs, ensure no jobs are running (make sure to click the service icon in the events tab to show all background jobs too), then when nothing is active except the hung mountability job, kill the core service.

If you are running the latest build of RR (6.1.1) I recommend opening a support case so we can work with you to get a core process dump to try and isolate the cause of the deadlock. If you are on an older build, please upgrade after killing the core service so that you get the benefit of the code fixes in the latest version.
  • Thanks for your feedback, we would update but we are still protecting a 2003r2 32bit server which i believe is uncompatible with the latest 6.1 version agent.
  • The 6.0.1 and newer agent is incompatible with Server 2003 in all forms. However, you can upgrade the core and continue to use the 5.4.3 agent on your 2003 server. Functionality should continue to be the same as it is for you while running the 6.0.1 version of the core with the 5.4.3 version of the agent.