There has been a huge market demand recently for a solution to migrate personal storage content (i.e. Google Drive, home folders, My Sites, etc.) to OneDrive for Business and Office 365.
Well thanks to the newly released Migration Suite for SharePoint 4.8, customers and partners can now:
- Import personal files and documents in bulk from Google Drive, home folders and My Sites to OneDrive for Business and Office 365 quickly and easily
- Provision OneDrives automatically for users if needed
- Preserve essential metadata to content as its migrated
- Map permissions and sharing settings automatically when migrating Google Drives, My Sites and OneDrives to ensure that users retain access to the data shared with them
- Ensure a high fidelity migration by converting native Google documents (Docs, Sheets and Slides) to the Microsoft Office equivalent (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) on the fly during migration
- Avoid the hassle of pre-configuring target OneDrives to ensure the migration staff has temporary access needed to perform migrations (in other words, Migration Suite handles permissions automatically in the background)
The other market demand has been for a FASTER migration to Office 365 and OneDrive for Business.
As product manager Alexander Kirillov discussed in a recent blog post, importing large amounts of content into the multi-tenant Office 365 environment can take a long time when using traditional migration methods that leverage the Client-Side Object Model (CSOM). Without getting into the technical detail that’s discussed in the previous blog post, too many CSOM calls (i.e. too much content being migrated into the multi-tenant environment) competes for bandwidth and server resources with regular tenant users. A massive migration can bring down not only the target tenant, but degrade the service availability for its neighbors. To counter this, Microsoft plans to throttle excessive CSOM calls, making traditional migration approaches even slower.
But at the Ignite conference in May 2015, Microsoft announced a new SharePoint Online Migration API that leverages a completely separate infrastructure and therefore data onboarding does not impact normal service consumption and is not subject to throttling.
With Migration Suite for SharePoint 4.8, customers and partners can now leverage the speed of the new SharePoint Online Migration API through our new “Azure Turbo Boost” feature to reduce the time it takes to import large amounts of content into Office 365 and OneDrive for Business and avoid service lag for end-users. According to Microsoft, the throughput gain is at least 5x!