Balancing User Satisfaction and Productivity with PC Lockdown
Today users have control over several devices such as laptops, tablets and mobile phones in their personal lives and they expect to have the same amount of flexibility and control over the devices they use in their professional lives. They often require access to new applications and software updates to be productive; however giving users’ carte blanche with full administrative privileges is not the right approach and can be fraught with peril. Visiting infected websites, misconfiguring applications and falling prey to phishing scams – these put an increased burden on IT staff with a flood of tickets and calls. So, how is IT to achieve the right level of control so that users are productive and content on the one hand, while on the other hand they safeguard corporate assets while ensuring that security and compliance requirements are met?
The “all or nothing” approach to granting users administrative rights is a thing of the past and IT now has to maintain a delicate balance between user control and safeguarding organizational assets. Fortunately, there is a relatively easy and simple way to achieve just the right balance by following these five easy steps:
- Step 1: Blocking unapproved applications from executing
- Step 2: Centrally controlling application configurations for users and not relying on users
- Step 3: Granting administrative rights to the application, not the users
- Step 4: Integrating service requests into the lockdown situation
- Step 5: Giving users installation freedom within a tightly controlled environment
An effective solution will take a holistic approach to both system and user management. So what should one look for in such an integrated approach? Here are some key capabilities to consider when evaluating such a solution:
- Seamless integration with your running production environment
- The ability to monitor activities while building inventory
- Support for flexible policies
- An easy to implement interface with minimal user impact
Interested in learning more? Access our webinar, The New Windows Security: Achieving PC Lockdown without User Backlash in Five Easy Steps to gain additional insights. Learn more about our user management solution,Desktop Authority Suite and our systems management solution the Quest KACE family of system management appliances by going to our website.