This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Core Memory

Looking to start a discussion on Core memory usage and memory trouble-shooting in general

1) The first problem we are seeing is that the Core will often be at 0 free memory with a HUGE amount in standby. Yes I know low free memory is "normal" in current server OS's and that standby memory is available to be used by another application if it needs it. But that is certainly not my experience either and def not when RR is the one with all the memory in standby

I have a Core that has 125GB of memory, 25GB is in use from every process and 100GB is in standby. 0 Free

I see the TN below about write caching. But a few issues

https://support.quest.com/rapid-recovery/kb/119686/high-paged-pool-ram-utilization-on-systems-running-appassure-or-rapid-recovery

a) The Core is 2012 R2 so should not be having this issue.

b) The technote gives no indications of how to confirm if you are having this issue.

c) Without a way to confirm if I am having this issue, the technote may not even help

https://www.quest.com/community/products/rapid-recovery/f/forum/21016/core-memory-usage-in-hyper-v-vms-making-vms-unresponsive#

2) Rammap file summary will often show a HUGE amount (+100GB) of memory in standby

Is this normal, does it show a problem with write cache (or anything else)

Why does this memory only show up in RAMMAP file sumary and point to the dfs.records file of our repo.

What does it not show up as standby memory allocated to core.service.exe (or any process) in task manager/ resource monitor. This is not how process are supposed to act

Parents
  • Great Info and thanks for the time. My understanding of how newer OS's leave pointers in standby memory is the same as yours. But I was curious why RR was consuming this much standby memory in the first place (and I think you answered that)

For the KB article, I think you cleared that up also but let me double check. The articles point was not about different standby memory allocation between 2008 and 2012, both will use a large amount of standby memory. But you believe 2008 had a harder time releasing this standby memory if another process requested some. So the writecachepolicy change would help stop the RR process from consuming this much standby memory on a 2008 server? Since I am not working on any 2008 Cores, is the title accurate that this will be seen as high paged pool?

So if I have a 2012 server with high standby memory allocated (normal) and performance issues, you believe making the write cache policy change from 2 to 3 would have zero or very little effect?

One thing I would mention, is that it seems like you should be able to quickly look at Task Manager/ Resource Monitor and find out that RR is the one using all of this standby memory.
  • Great Info and thanks for the time. My understanding of how newer OS's leave pointers in standby memory is the same as yours. But I was curious why RR was consuming this much standby memory in the first place (and I think you answered that)

For the KB article, I think you cleared that up also but let me double check. The articles point was not about different standby memory allocation between 2008 and 2012, both will use a large amount of standby memory. But you believe 2008 had a harder time releasing this standby memory if another process requested some. So the writecachepolicy change would help stop the RR process from consuming this much standby memory on a 2008 server? Since I am not working on any 2008 Cores, is the title accurate that this will be seen as high paged pool?

So if I have a 2012 server with high standby memory allocated (normal) and performance issues, you believe making the write cache policy change from 2 to 3 would have zero or very little effect?

One thing I would mention, is that it seems like you should be able to quickly look at Task Manager/ Resource Monitor and find out that RR is the one using all of this standby memory.
Children
No Data