This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Core Memory

Looking to start a discussion on Core memory usage and memory trouble-shooting in general

1) The first problem we are seeing is that the Core will often be at 0 free memory with a HUGE amount in standby. Yes I know low free memory is "normal" in current server OS's and that standby memory is available to be used by another application if it needs it. But that is certainly not my experience either and def not when RR is the one with all the memory in standby

I have a Core that has 125GB of memory, 25GB is in use from every process and 100GB is in standby. 0 Free

I see the TN below about write caching. But a few issues

https://support.quest.com/rapid-recovery/kb/119686/high-paged-pool-ram-utilization-on-systems-running-appassure-or-rapid-recovery

a) The Core is 2012 R2 so should not be having this issue.

b) The technote gives no indications of how to confirm if you are having this issue.

c) Without a way to confirm if I am having this issue, the technote may not even help

https://www.quest.com/community/products/rapid-recovery/f/forum/21016/core-memory-usage-in-hyper-v-vms-making-vms-unresponsive#

2) Rammap file summary will often show a HUGE amount (+100GB) of memory in standby

Is this normal, does it show a problem with write cache (or anything else)

Why does this memory only show up in RAMMAP file sumary and point to the dfs.records file of our repo.

What does it not show up as standby memory allocated to core.service.exe (or any process) in task manager/ resource monitor. This is not how process are supposed to act

Parents
  • I think I understand the situation now thanks to all the information presented. And while you guys have cleared up a lot of information about writecachepolicy and the TN. I have not really made any progress on my goal.

How would I know if writecachepolicy SHOULD be changed? It is normal for the Core to have most of the standby memory with writecachepolicy = 2, so that is not a good indication. Do we just change the writecachepolicy on any server that we think is slow, do we watch perfmon disk queue length?

I have made the changes to writecachepolicy on this core, but how do I track performance? How do I know if this change (or any change) has helped? Lets assume that disk queue length was the piece to monitor, and lets assume that dropped. That does not mean that RR is any faster.

So how would you recommend I track performance on the Core?
  • I think I understand the situation now thanks to all the information presented. And while you guys have cleared up a lot of information about writecachepolicy and the TN. I have not really made any progress on my goal.

How would I know if writecachepolicy SHOULD be changed? It is normal for the Core to have most of the standby memory with writecachepolicy = 2, so that is not a good indication. Do we just change the writecachepolicy on any server that we think is slow, do we watch perfmon disk queue length?

I have made the changes to writecachepolicy on this core, but how do I track performance? How do I know if this change (or any change) has helped? Lets assume that disk queue length was the piece to monitor, and lets assume that dropped. That does not mean that RR is any faster.

So how would you recommend I track performance on the Core?
Children
No Data