Unable to find Exchange tab on RapidRecovery

Dear forum,

We are currently running a Rapid Recovery instance which is backing up our Cluster of 4 Exchange nodes.
This works great on 3 out of 4 nodes, however, on the fourth one it looks like it does not discover the presence of an exchange server.

I followed the setup instructions again to verify, WinRM is active, firewall is off, the webui is reachable from that server.

How can I trigger the rapid recovery core to discover the exchange installation and therefor offer functions like "log truncation" or similar?

Exchange Server 2013 / Rapid Recovery 6.1.3 (Yes its old, but it worked before..) 
I restarted the Core and the agent before with no luck. I aswell refreshed the metadata.

Best regards,
Jan

Parents
  • There are a couple of things I would check:

1. On the exchange server open up regedit and check on this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AppRecovery\Agent\AgentSettings\DisableExchangeMetadata. That should have a value of 0. If it has a value of 1, then that means metadata gathering is turned off.
    2. Check the AppRecoveryPM.log file which is located in C:\ProgramData\AppRecovery\Logs. See if there are any errors related to metadata gathering.
  • Hi Tim,
    1. I checked that key and it did not exist. I now created one with a value of 0, however, this did not change anything.
    2. I checked the log and saw this:

ERROR 2020-06-10T14:41:41 [31] - Replay.Common.Implementation.WmiApi.Wmi ()
    Unknown WMI error:
    WMI query: SELECT * FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name='MSExchangeIS'
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070008)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.<CastIterator>d__97`1.MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
    at Replay.Common.Implementation.WmiApi.Wmi.<>c__DisplayClass2c`1.<ExecuteQuery>b__2a()

DEBUG 2020-06-10T14:41:41 [31] - Replay.Common.Implementation.Metadata.Exchange.ExchangeMetadataService ()
    Failed to detect exchange.
    Replay.Common.Contracts.WmiApi.WmiException: Unknown WMI error:
    WMI query: SELECT * FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name='MSExchangeIS' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.<CastIterator>d__97`1.MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
    at Replay.Common.Implementation.WmiApi.Wmi.<>c__DisplayClass2c`1.<ExecuteQuery>b__2a()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Replay.Common.Implementation.WmiApi.Wmi.RiseException(Exception ex, String wmiQuery, Boolean logException)
    at Replay.Common.Implementation.WmiApi.Wmi.ExecuteFunctionAndReconnectIfNeeded[T](Func`1 func)
    at Replay.Common.Implementation.WmiApi.Services.WmiServices.GetServiceInfo(String serviceName)
    at Replay.Common.Implementation.Metadata.Exchange.ExchangeMetadataService.DetectExchange()

Do you know what this could mean? The system is correctly added to the cluster in my opinion..

Thanks in advance,
    Jan

• To detect Exchange, Rapid Recovery uses WMI queries. The logs are showing that when RR ran the WMI query to detect Exchange it received and unknown WMI error. That usually means something is wrong with WMI on the system or something is wrong with the information stored in the WMI repository. To test what's wrong with WMI I recommend:

1. Running the same WMI query that Rapid Recovery is running from an admin powershell window.
    2. To do this, open an admin powershell prompt and then enter the command: Get-WmiObject -query "SELECT * FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name='MSExchangeIS'".
    3. This should return a result that looks something like this:
    4. If that results in an error, that should give you a better idea of where the issue is because you can start tracking down that error. If it succeeds, that means that WMI is actually working properly

• To detect Exchange, Rapid Recovery uses WMI queries. The logs are showing that when RR ran the WMI query to detect Exchange it received and unknown WMI error. That usually means something is wrong with WMI on the system or something is wrong with the information stored in the WMI repository. To test what's wrong with WMI I recommend:

1. Running the same WMI query that Rapid Recovery is running from an admin powershell window.
    2. To do this, open an admin powershell prompt and then enter the command: Get-WmiObject -query "SELECT * FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name='MSExchangeIS'".
    3. This should return a result that looks something like this:
    4. If that results in an error, that should give you a better idea of where the issue is because you can start tracking down that error. If it succeeds, that means that WMI is actually working properly

Children