This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SharePlex vs RMAN

Hello All,

I have been working on Oracle Golden Gate quote long time but I was asked to do some POC in Shareplex for upcoming migration. 

From yesterday I'm reading Shareplex 9 with lots of documents but found lots interesting. Specifically, The below links has lots of details. 

https://gcn.com/~/media/GIG/GCN/Whitepapers/Quest_Top%205%20Reasons%20to%20Choose%20SharePlex.ashx

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find what I'm looking.

1. Is RMAN fully integrated with Shareplex ? Let say, I have multiple terabyte database which I'm looking for application migration / and database migration from one version to another version. In this case, I would like have to start RMAN backup and start with SCN like Golden Gate . 

Is it possible in shareplex ? Or only option RMAN Image backup ? If RMAN image backup then it may require downtime in source database. Is that correct ?

2.  In Golden Gate, We have option to do one time data copy. I mean initial data sync using DATA PUMP.. I can use this feature for smaller database. Is it possible from Shareplex ?

Thank you.  Babu

Parents
  • thank you for explaining about SCN vs RMAN Recovery.  I'm good now. Its time to do the POC for RMAN 

For PK/UK and Constraints .. I understand your requesting disable in target server. I don't think its good idea but instead of disable I can set "deferrable" mode in target system. 

Is there any document available.  How column level mapping can be done?

1. Target database has more column than source.  How to map in target like Golden Gate. 

2. Let say Target system has different column structure source has. Is it possible to use any tool to map column? like defgen ? Starting from Oracle 12.1. I don't think oracle has defgen utility. I'm wondering have you done any poc? This help's for application upgrade poc. 

3. As I said already, Source and Target database match with identical column but in target I might create new set of partition tables and rename partition table as original.  

Example: 

Source Table: Employee

TARGET Table: Employee

In Target, I will create new partition table like Employee_P and then rename Employee to Employee_Org and Employee_P to Employee 

Note: This is an application requirement. I can't use Quest Reorg Tool. 

In this case, Is Shareplex has intelligent to understand all tables after rename and re-create ?  

• thank you for explaining about SCN vs RMAN Recovery.  I'm good now. Its time to do the POC for RMAN 

For PK/UK and Constraints .. I understand your requesting disable in target server. I don't think its good idea but instead of disable I can set "deferrable" mode in target system. 

Is there any document available.  How column level mapping can be done?

1. Target database has more column than source.  How to map in target like Golden Gate. 

2. Let say Target system has different column structure source has. Is it possible to use any tool to map column? like defgen ? Starting from Oracle 12.1. I don't think oracle has defgen utility. I'm wondering have you done any poc? This help's for application upgrade poc. 

3. As I said already, Source and Target database match with identical column but in target I might create new set of partition tables and rename partition table as original.  

Example: 

Source Table: Employee

TARGET Table: Employee

In Target, I will create new partition table like Employee_P and then rename Employee to Employee_Org and Employee_P to Employee 

Note: This is an application requirement. I can't use Quest Reorg Tool. 

In this case, Is Shareplex has intelligent to understand all tables after rename and re-create ?  

Children
No Data