This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SharePlex vs RMAN

Hello All,

I have been working on Oracle Golden Gate quote long time but I was asked to do some POC in Shareplex for upcoming migration. 

From yesterday I'm reading Shareplex 9 with lots of documents but found lots interesting. Specifically, The below links has lots of details. 

https://gcn.com/~/media/GIG/GCN/Whitepapers/Quest_Top%205%20Reasons%20to%20Choose%20SharePlex.ashx

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find what I'm looking.

1. Is RMAN fully integrated with Shareplex ? Let say, I have multiple terabyte database which I'm looking for application migration / and database migration from one version to another version. In this case, I would like have to start RMAN backup and start with SCN like Golden Gate . 

Is it possible in shareplex ? Or only option RMAN Image backup ? If RMAN image backup then it may require downtime in source database. Is that correct ?

2.  In Golden Gate, We have option to do one time data copy. I mean initial data sync using DATA PUMP.. I can use this feature for smaller database. Is it possible from Shareplex ?

Thank you.  Babu

Parents
  • Maybe my answer was unclear. PK or UK should be inclusive of columns for replication or you will run into performance issue for replication (target posting).

Unlike GoldenGate, if target has more columns than the source, there isn't anything that you have to do. By default, we will only reference the columns that define on the source. Due to this, you don't need defgen.

About structure relating to physical vs. partitioning, it doesn't affect SharePlex since we apply SQL as normal user. Oracle will take care of the storage definition. SharePlex also have ability to replicate DDL as well which probably is off with this methodology since you want the structure to be different. By default we will replicate ALTER TABLE/TRUNCATE table so might elect not to replication TRUNCATE which is a setting with SP_OCT_REPLICATE_DDL. You can find more information on that with our documentation.

With column mapping, it is done on the source configuration file. Unlike GoldenGate, we have one location of all configurations occurred which makes it easier to view and manage. Here is an excerpt from our manual for column mapping.

To enforce case-sensitive column names to Oracle targets

The Oracle Post process does not perform case conversion of column names automatically. If the case is different between source and target columns, you must use a column map to map the case of the source names to the case of the target names. To get Post to enforce the case, specify the name in its correct case and enclose it within double quotes.

This is an example of case-sensitive column name mapping in a column map:
    Datasource o.oraA
    sales.emp(ID,"first","last") sales.emp(ID,"First","Last") sysB@o.oraB

You might search for "column mapping" to find more detail on it.

With SharePlex, we reference the target table by table name so when you rename it to EMPLOYEE_ORG THEN EMPLOYEE_P, we won't be able to replicate to it since it doesn't exist. Once you rename it back to EMPLOYEE, we should be able to find it fine. One thing come to mind if you want SharePlex Post applies changes to EMPLOYEE_ORG or EMPLOYEE_P, you can leverage SYNONYM to accomplish it.
  • Maybe my answer was unclear. PK or UK should be inclusive of columns for replication or you will run into performance issue for replication (target posting).

Unlike GoldenGate, if target has more columns than the source, there isn't anything that you have to do. By default, we will only reference the columns that define on the source. Due to this, you don't need defgen.

About structure relating to physical vs. partitioning, it doesn't affect SharePlex since we apply SQL as normal user. Oracle will take care of the storage definition. SharePlex also have ability to replicate DDL as well which probably is off with this methodology since you want the structure to be different. By default we will replicate ALTER TABLE/TRUNCATE table so might elect not to replication TRUNCATE which is a setting with SP_OCT_REPLICATE_DDL. You can find more information on that with our documentation.

With column mapping, it is done on the source configuration file. Unlike GoldenGate, we have one location of all configurations occurred which makes it easier to view and manage. Here is an excerpt from our manual for column mapping.

To enforce case-sensitive column names to Oracle targets

The Oracle Post process does not perform case conversion of column names automatically. If the case is different between source and target columns, you must use a column map to map the case of the source names to the case of the target names. To get Post to enforce the case, specify the name in its correct case and enclose it within double quotes.

This is an example of case-sensitive column name mapping in a column map:
    Datasource o.oraA
    sales.emp(ID,"first","last") sales.emp(ID,"First","Last") sysB@o.oraB

You might search for "column mapping" to find more detail on it.

With SharePlex, we reference the target table by table name so when you rename it to EMPLOYEE_ORG THEN EMPLOYEE_P, we won't be able to replicate to it since it doesn't exist. Once you rename it back to EMPLOYEE, we should be able to find it fine. One thing come to mind if you want SharePlex Post applies changes to EMPLOYEE_ORG or EMPLOYEE_P, you can leverage SYNONYM to accomplish it.
Children
No Data