This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SQL server memory settings for new Foglight monitoring server

Hi Experts,

I'm keep on getting thePopup message while adding servers into the foglight monitoring tool.

Can you please suggest me whether i have to configure the SQL memory settings or Foglight any config files need to change the memory settings?If yes where i have to change it? is there any default path?

Please guide me on this how to proceed further.

Agent Manager has insufficient memory allocation.
Memory allocation needs to be increased by at least 320MB according to the deployment guide.

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,

RAJ

• Can anyone please suggest on this?
  • Hi Raj,

The more recent versions of the database cartridges use a process of automatic heap size negotiation to set the size of the JVM heap configuration, based on the number of agents in your system. This should now automatically set the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) Heap Size on the Agent Manager (FglAM).

The JVM heap size requirement is graduated based on ranges for the number of agents and also differs if SQL PI is enabled. Ranges are < 5, < 50, < 100, and < 200 agents

The warning can appear if you have moved into the next sizing band and there isn't enough memory available on the server.
    For example for < 5 database agents (with PI) 2GB of RAM is required, with 1024MB necessary for the FglAM java heap.
    Adding more than 5 will move the sizing into the next band (< 50), which requires 8GB RAM and 6144MB for the java heap.

I recommend reviewing the Foglight for Databases deployment guide for the current sizing requirements for a Foglight for SQL Server database agent environment. If your sizing seems to meet the guidelines, then I would open a Service Request for a Support Engineer to assist with a review of the sizing particulars of your environment.

John
  • Thank you so much john for your quick help,so no need to configure the memory settings for Foglight and whenever requires it will take automatically from the OS directly? and is there possibility or any configuration file that can we set max cap memory setting for foglight?

Because noticed foglight services was stopped due to Virtual memory issue and when i tried to start ,its running and after a minute again back to stop state,seems like some virtual memory issue on the server,if i have added more 10 DB agents then which requires 8GB RAM and 6144MB from OS? which means my OS is 16GB,that means its not sufficient to run the foglight sevices? so i have to increase the memory to 24GB at least?
    Please suggest me how to proceed further .

Best Regards,
    RAJ
  • Hi Raj,

Based on the description of the issues it sounds like your Agent Manager does not have enough memory available to run. Without all of the details of the environment, I cannot make a general sizing recommendation as it should consider architecture items including:

• Locations for the FMS, FglAM, PI repository, Foglight repository
    • Number of agents
    • Is PI is being enabled for all or some the agents?
    • What other cartridges are installed?
    • What operating systems are used for the components
    • Are reservations set for virtual machines?
    • How is Antivirus scanning configured on the Foglight servers?

If memory is available on the OS then the auto-negotiation should allocate the memory appropriately. Each component however on a server (FMS, FglAM, etc) contributes to the overall memory usage. 

I recommend reviewing the Foglight for Databases deployment guide sizing chart. The guide is available for download from Supportlink. You can also work with a Solution Consultant or Support Engineer to review your architecture and provide the appropriate recommendations.

John