This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Converting Agent-based Servers to Agentless

I am currently converting some of our environment to the the agent-less style of backing up the machines. What I am not sure about is how to move the existing recovery points to the now agent-less protected machine. I have the recovery points still, and I was hoping that somehow they would recognize the hostname or something and automatically attach to the machine after it was re-protected agent-lessly, however that is not the case. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Parents
  • The following steps should allow you to convert an agentless machine to an agent based machine and keep the recovery points inline with the newly protected agent. 

1. Get the Agent ID for the agentless protected machine from the URL of the summary page for that agent. 

2. Install the agent on the machine you are going to change protection for

3. On the machine you just installed the agent on, change the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AppRecovery\Agent\AgentId\Id to the Agent ID retrieved in step 1, and restart the agent service

4. Remove the machine from agentless protection

5. Protect the machine as an agent

You should see the recovery points match up since they have the same unique ID as the agent that you just protected. A base image will be taken as you have changed methods for tracking changes from VMware to the agent filter driver.  

• The following steps should allow you to convert an agentless machine to an agent based machine and keep the recovery points inline with the newly protected agent. 

1. Get the Agent ID for the agentless protected machine from the URL of the summary page for that agent. 

2. Install the agent on the machine you are going to change protection for

3. On the machine you just installed the agent on, change the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AppRecovery\Agent\AgentId\Id to the Agent ID retrieved in step 1, and restart the agent service

4. Remove the machine from agentless protection

5. Protect the machine as an agent

You should see the recovery points match up since they have the same unique ID as the agent that you just protected. A base image will be taken as you have changed methods for tracking changes from VMware to the agent filter driver.  

Children
No Data