Agent not detecting SQL server instance

We are on version 6.1.3.100.  I might have installed the agent on our new SQL vm (server 2016) before SQL was installed.   All I know is; backups are working, but I see no SQL data in the Summary View in Rapid Recovery webpage.  

How do I force the agent to check for a SQL installl?  (need to reinstall the agent?) or repair?

thanks,

Parents Reply Children
  • thanks for the great info.  So, looks like my plan is to get agents to 6.1.3.100 agent version.(which is safe).  once that is done I can upgrade core to 6.4.  6.4 supports 6.1.3 agents?  then I can casually upgrade agents to 6.4 as needed.  I have replication setup, so I will upgrade the source first, then target.

sounds good?

• Yup. That sounds like a good plan.

• Hi. So I recently upgraded our Core to 6.4 and now I have to upgrade all the agents to 6.4. All the agents are currently 6.1.3.100 & 6.2.1.100. My question is prior to upgrading to 6.4, the core was running version 6.3 and when my co worker tried to upgrade the agents, they failed upon reboot. So my question now is do you think I will have any issues upgrading the agents to 6.4 from the versions they are now? The oldest OS we have is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. The core is upgraded on this version OS and so I'm thinking the agents running Windows server 2008 R2 SP1 won't have an issue upgrading to 6.4? We are planning to upgrade our servers but for now I'd like to upgrade to the current version 6.4. Please help.

• According to the System Requirements Guide for RR 6.4 (https://support.quest.com/technical-documents/rapid-recovery/6.4/system-requirements-guide/3#TOPIC-1338794) Server 2008 R2 SP1 is supported to run the agent. So you should be able to upgrade all your machines. I always recommend reading through the system requirements guide prior to upgrade to make sure you understand what is supported. 

I'm not sure what you mean by trying to upgrade to 6.3 and then the agent installation failed upon reboot. Were you trying to bulk deploy the agent or were you trying to manually upgrade? What error did you get? I guess I just don't understand what happened there. 

Going forward I would recommend manually updating one agent to validate that the install goes successfully and to get a feel for the process and then you could bulk deploy the agent to upgrade the rest. 

• Tim, so our rapid-recovery core version was 6.2.1 and I recently upgraded to 6.4. Prior to me upgrading my coworker upgraded some of the agents from the core using the wizard but they all failed after reboot. He also said he attempted to upgrade each agent individually by installing rapid-recovery on the server. Again he said it failed upon reboot. So he did not attempt to go further. However I had success in upgrading the core to 6.4 and our backups are without error and no fails. So I guess my question is could I upgrade the agents from their current version of 6.1.3.100 and 6.2.1.100 with fail after reboot? Or do you know of any known issues people run into when doing this? We are live 22 hours out of the day so this would have to be done during break for install and reboot. Which also means don't have much time for fail. :) 

• When you perform an agent upgrade the installation will run on the machine and it will either complete or it will fail with an error. Reboot is the last step of the process after a successful upgrade. So if you got to the point where it asked for a reboot and then you say "it failed" that doesn't make much sense to me. What failed? What was the error message? 

My recommendation remains to manually update a single agent as a test and see what happens. Currently if you are upgrading directly to 6.4 I do not know of any installation issues in the product. It should just install, ask for a reboot, and then function properly after a reboot. 

• I'm not sure what error message he got. All he said was when he tried to upgrade all the agents failed after reboot??? So I assumed it was because of compatibility issues? I started to research and come across this Forum and also read KB article - https://support.quest.com/rapid-recovery/kb/301910/incomplete-recovery-points-are-taken-after-windows-agent-is-upgraded-from-6-1-x-to-6-2-0-6-2-1-or-6-3-0. His explanation didn't make sense to me after I researched a little more and performed a successful upgrade on the core to 6.4. My next step is to upgrade the agents and I'm just looking to make sure I don't run into any errors as I don't have any room for downtime. Also when I do the upgrade on one of the agents to see if it fails or completes, should I take a snapshot in case I will have to revert back? Thank you. 

• You should definitely take a backup before you do the upgrade, but I'll bet they upgrade without a problem.  If you do run into any issues, open up a support request and the support team will gladly help you out.