Is Quest/ApexSQL legit?

I found a link to the ApexSQL Propogate software on a forum and downloaded and installed the software. I created a simple query script to test running over multiple (4) databases. The simple script failed each time and when I went to reopen my script to test it manually, I discovered that my entire script was replaced with Chinese characters!

I then sent an email to support but they responded with with "we can't/won't help you. Use the 'Community' forum instead."
I then tried to log into the Community forum via my Microsoft account but I keep getting "That Was Unexpected...We apologize, but an unexpected issue prevented the page you requested from being available. We've logged the issue so the site administrator can resolve the problem."

Next I tried creating an account manually and logging in that way via IE11. But that wouldn't work either as the menus would not display correctly leaving no way to post a question.

I was finally able to get here using Firefox but now I'm wondering if this company/software is legit or a data collection tool for the Chinese. I am NOT a paranoid person but this experience seems awfully sketchy.

Parents
  • Hi David, 

Thank you for expressing your concern in our forums. 

I am a Technical Support Manager for the ApexSQL product here at Quest. Quest as a company has been around since 1984, we maintain and provide software solutions for our customers since then. Some of our most famous product brands are Toad, Rapid Recovery, and KACE

ApexSQL is one of the latest additions to our software portfolio, bringing a ton of fresh automation tools for Database Administrators and Developers alike. These solutions have earned accolades for their quality support and functionality. We are committed to continuing to deliver quality support and software for this new toolset.

We are sorry you encountered these issues while logging in. Our portal works as expected with IE11, Google Chrome, and Firefox.

Can you provide a screenshot or text snippet of the characters you saw being replaced on your script? We would like to provide you with assistance to the problem you originally stumbled upon.

Kind regards,

George Moore

Technical Support Manager

Quest | Information Management – ApexSQL, LiteSpeed, Toad

• Sure. Below is what I see after ApexSQL "processed" my script. 

Reply Children
  • Hi, again David,

Our development staff just released a patch for your product. You can download the fix from ApexSQL.com Patches

Could you please validate if it addresses the issue you encountered? Also, to ensure it is the same file, please find the Checksum information below:

Name: ApexSQLPropagate.exe
    Size: 29555216 bytes (28 MiB)
    CRC32: 37E93EAF
    CRC64: E32503D7B18B3F97
    SHA256: 52EA341B10B5229E8405B884EE61E068CC53610A58616DC1D12204EAEFDCD98B
    SHA1: B4633CD733C65BD9C5CA8217C85C0E6B7DA44997
    BLAKE2sp: 131E6A34FA4371EFD8AB41E2800A89EC9ED066A6D3B124760C8DE36CECE3761D

• The patch worked! Thanks!

FYI I'm still having trouble accessing this forum in Chrome. At first I thought that it might be related to my company's VPN but I get the same error when logging on via my personal PC.  ("That Was Unexpected..." error)