This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot protect machine because RR says it's already protected.

We are protecting our VM's agentlessly and only have 1 VM that's causing issues. Whenever I try to add it to protection, RR says it's already protected. This VM has never been protected before so I don't know what's causing RR to think that. We deploy all of our machines via templates so I know it's not a duplicate SID issue or else we would have seen it before. Is there somewhere I can check to get more info on why RR is saying this? Or even better, remedy the situation?

• Hi Marci:
    Is that machine the VMWare Virtual Server? (If it is you have a duplicated name). I would suggest to change the display name of the VirtualCenter through which you protect the VMs agentlessly and try again. This issue was supposed to be fixed in 6.1.2 -- what version are you running?
    Please let us know.
  • Is the VM that I can't protect the VCSA? Nope. It's just a plain Windows 2012 R2 box that will soon become a DC.
    We are running 6.1.2.115.
  • If I hover over a machine in RR it shows the following link:

server:8006/.../2a41ee58-9f6e-4a88-8551-2ac2f042c598

Where is it generating that long string from? Each machine is different but I'm wondering if the one I'm trying to protect has the same string? I poked around the RR server to see if I could find anything that resembled that but no.
  • "server:8006/.../2a41ee58-9f6e-4a88-8551-2ac2f042c598"

The last part of the string is a GUID which is randomly generated by the agent software (if the protection is agent based). Very little chance that is not unique.

In the case of agentless protection, it is the UUID of the VM -- thus the id will be the same when you reprotect a machine agentlessly.

Normally, the issue you face is related to the display name of the agent.
    It may be related with the GUID only if you already have recovery points of that machine on the Core, albeit a conflict almost never happens (the old recovery points are added to the newly protected machine).

Since the machine with the issue is to become a domain controller, it is worth considering installing the agent to make it as independent as possible (i.e. if the VC goes down). However, this does not solve the problem of agentless protection :)
  • Hmmm there are no recovery point only entries and I don't think the error logs are verbose enough to say whether or not this is a duplicate GUID or UUID issue.

Yes I should probably install the agent on this but you are correct in that it doesn't solve the main issue here (one which may appear again in the future).

If you think of anywhere else to check please let me know!
  • Just another piece of information - if I look at the vCenter Server and list all VM's (from the RR console), I cannot see this VM in the list of machines, protected or unprotected - very strange) The only time I see it is if I select "Protect Machines" and locate it in the list.
  • I think trying to install an agent and then protect may produce different results vs agentless. But just a guess

One idea is to check the Core registry to see if there are any guid OR DisplayName entries already. HKLM\Software\Apprecovery\Core\Agents
  • Well I fixed the issue although inadvertently... While trying to remove a VM from being protected, I removed the VCSA by mistake. (Might be a slight UI issue there...). But after everything was gone, it all re-added properly and I had no conflicting issues. Just hoping we don't need to restore anything older than yesterday!