API Call failed with message: The device or operation specified at index '9' is not supported for the existing virtual machine platform.

Hello,

i am evaluating vRanger. During this i tried to replicate a Linux-Gentoo VM. After some time after start of the replication i get the following error message:

An internal error occurred during execution, please contact Quest support if the error persists.  Error Message: API Call failed with message: The device or operation specified at index '9' is not supported for the existing virtual machine platform.

In between i get this message also if i restore a Windows Server VM. This was working one time and then no more.

How can i solve this issue?

Best regards

Mathias

• Mathias,

Between what versions of ESX(i) hosts are you attempting to replicate between? Also what is the hardware version the VM is configured with? And one more question what hardware is the VM configured with that can cause the VC/host not to be able to create the VM when the API command is sent to the VC/Host.

• Hello Igor,

the configuration is:

• hosts HP Proliant DL360 G7 all the same hardware
    • host OS is an all servers ESXi 5.1 with trial keys
    • guest OS is Gentoo Linux adapted 32 bit , called other 2.6.x Linux-System in vSphere Client
    • VM-Version. vmx-09

The most irritating is, that backup/restore was working fine. Then i tried replication and it was ok for the 2nd VM with Windows Server 2008 but not working for the Linux VM.

Actual i can not restore the backup anymore and the error message is the same if i try the replication.

hardware.PNG

Any ideas are welcome....

BR

Mathias

• Mathias,

What version of vRanger is being used?

There may be a couple reasons for the problems.

1. Has this VM always been a vmx-09 VM?

2. Is the Windows 2008 VM also a vmx-9 VM?

3. Is the Windows 2008 VM also configured in the same way?

4. I can’t read German but looking at the VM configuration there are more components than expected, so the VM configuration looks to be playing a role here and one of those components is causing the failure.

5. A normal VM configuration would look similar to this, mine has 2 disks.

• Hello Igor,

sorry, but i am new to VMware and vRanger., but got the task to work on a backup/replication procedure.

The vRanger Version is 6.01.

1. yes, i have never changed that

2. no, it is VM-Version 8

3. looks like the same

4. It is less, but i activated the "show all devices" button. The server has 4 disk's with hardware raid seperated in 2 datastores. datastore 1 for ESXi and datastore 2 for the VM's. The disk shown in the screenshot is a virtual disk.

5. The Windows Server VM has also only one disk

hardware2.PNG

• By the way, all informations about the Linux VM in the messages before are from a similar Linux VM on another server. The problem is, that as mentioned before, that the restore of the backup is no more possible and ends with the same errormessage as when i try to replicate. DVD/CD, floppy are removed before.

Regards

Mathias

• Mathais,

The issue could be related to the vmx-9 that is being used but you did say it used to work. So with that being the case I would suggest opening a support case so that one of our engineers could perform a webex session with you to take a closer look at your issue. The case can be opened by vising the following link,support.quest.com/.../ManageServiceRequest.aspx, and then use the “Submit a Service Request” tab.(You do need to be logged in to submit a SR for your issue)

• Hello,

there is already a ticket open. But actual without a solution. It is a VM Ware Error but using Google or VM Ware Kowledgebase is not helpful. WM Ware says that the only type of support for trial software.

Regards

Mathas

• Hello,

here a short status update:

• i recreated the mentioned Linux VM manually
    • i changed the VM hardware version to 8
    • i started a replication to another similar host
    • replication stopped after several minutes with status successful but stored in failed tasks
    • the same error message was visible on the target host and in the vRanger log:"An internal error occurred during execution, please contact Quest support if the error persists.  Error Message: API Call failed with message: The device or operation specified at index '9' is not supported for the existing virtual machine platform."
    • i deleted the before created replication of the Windows VM
    • i started a new replication job of the Windows VM
    • all was working fine without error

(The Windows VM is on the same host as the Linux VM, replication was to the same host i tried to replicate the Linux VM)

Best Regards

Mathias

• Here is a test to try, can the Linux VM be cloned?

• Hello Igor,

is cloning the VM "Create Snapshot" in the vSphere client?

Actual i just have done successful a new backup of the new manual created Linux VM.  There was a process in the vSphereclient visible called creating snapshot. That was ok.

Or it is different?

Regards

Mathias