Remote Scan Client Not working for one user

I cannot get remote scan client to work for one user. All other users work fine. I have given this user full access to the twain_32 directory, twain.dll, twain_32.dll, twunk_16.exe, and twunk_32.exe. I have made this user a domain admin, turned off the windows firewall but the remote scan dialog box will not appear. I have tested this with multiple users that do not have admin rights with the firewall turned on and it works for all of them. Unfortunately, I have the remote scan server license on the one user that it does not work for. Remote scan client is installed on a windows 2003 terminal server. I am using version 9.432 I do not no what else to do. Please help. Thank you.
  • Have you tried logging in as that particular user and while logged in as that user run the remotescan installer? (make sure NOT to select update all users in this particular case if you see that option). Try doing that and then see if RemoteScan(TM) shows up as a scanner choice
  • Thank you for the reply. The installation was successful logged in as that particular user, unfortunately the remote scan dialog box still will not appear. I did not update all users. Remote Scan still works when I log in as myself and all other test users.
  • The third party program we are using for scanning is called Infothek Scan 11. In this program for the problem user I click File, select scanner, a scan box pops up for a millisecond and then disappears. With every other user that I have tested, when I click file select scanner, the same box comes up and stays there until I click select. The box shows my scanner as Remote Scan(TM) 9.432 32-32. After I click select I push the scan button and the remote scan box appears.
  • While logged in as that user, bring up a cmd prompt and type the word

set

and then hit return. Look for the values "Homedrive" and "homepath". Go to that directory and then go into the sub directory "windows"

[homedrive]:[homepath]\windows

then check to make sure the following files are there:

twain_32.dll
    twunk_32.exe
    twain_32 <directory>

If not, then the install did not work correctly and please install again while logged in as that user
  • The problem user has twain.dll, twain_32.dll, twunk_16.exe, twunk_32.exe files and twain_32 directory all within his windows folder. His home drive is C: and his home path is \Documents and Settings\"user name"
  • download this application for that user and install it while logged into the TS with their account

www.remote-scan.com/downloads/image.exe

and then install it and try scanning
  • I downloaded and tried to install the image.exe file. When I double click the image.exe icon a window pops up about unknown publisher am I sure I want to run. I select yes, hour glass appears for a couple of seconds and then goes away. Nothing else happens. This is true when I run the image file as the problem user or as the administrator. If I then log into the console of the server as the admin there is a message indicating image.exe encountered a problem and needed to close. It gives me the option to send error report to Microsoft which I chose to do. I then installed the Remote Scan ASP. exe file logged in as the problem user. Everything installs successfully. Remote scan is still not working for this user. If I try to run the remote scan asp.exe file logged in as the problem user but select run as and then select administrator I receive the following message. "You should not be in 'install mode' to continue this installation. Please switch to 'execute mode' now and restart this application." I click ok, close the program, click start, run type change user/execute. When I go back into the remote scan executable I get the same message. I have logged into the console of the server and change to execution mode as well. The message is still appearing. I currently have the problem user set up as an administrator.
  • As part of my troubleshooting I reinstalled Remote Scan logged in as the problem user but ran the installation as administrator. When I did this the installation process was slightly different. I was given the option to allow Microsoft Word, Excel, Picture Manager (maybe some others I can't remember for sure). I checked the boxes to allow these programs to scan using remote scan. Now using Microsoft Word the remote scan window appears for the problem user. It still will not appear using my preferred propgram which is Infothek Scan 11. Logged in as any other user I can access remote scan when using Infothek Scan 11.
  • The thing to do then is to take a look at the homepath\windows\ directory for the user/s who can see RemoteScan within your application.

Log in as a user who is working, run the SET command as previously described, and determine the homepath location for the working user.

Log into the server as admin, browse to the working user's homepath\windows\ directory, copy the RemoteScan files from the dir:

twain_32 (directory)
    Twain.dll
    Twain_32.dll
    Twunk_16.exe
    Twunk_32.exe

Now that the files are copied, browse to the NON working user account homepath. Paste the files you copied into this user's homepath.

If that does not fix the issue, then you may not be updating the correct homepath for the non working user. You need to make sure that you know the correct homepath directory for the non working user.
  • Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it very much. Unfortunately, it is still not working. Would you be willing to remote in to the computer so you can see for yourself that I have the correct home drive and home path? And that I have correctly copied the necessary files to that users windows directory?