Moving from Terminal Services to Citrix

Later this month we are transistioning from a Server 2003 Terminal Services setup to a Server 2008/Citrix setup. The HOME directory for the current remotescan users will remain the same. Will I need to install or do anything on the Citrix servers in order for remotescan to function? Or since the users already have the files in their home directories on another server, everything will just work?
  • Hi,

You should be fine, but there is the possibility that you will need to disable TWAIN redirection on your citrix servers. The easiest way to do this would be to run the RemoteScan install once on each Citrix server, it won't be necessary to choose the "update all users" option when you do this. If you prefer, you can also edit the registry on the Citrix machines to disable TWAIN redirection as well, please call our Tech Support line at 406-721-0276 if you need assistance with this.

Thanks
  • Being new to Citrix, I didn't realize that twain redirection was even an option. So when we install the Citrix servers, if they have twain redirection capabilities built-in, what benefit/features would I need remotescan for?
  • The citrix TWAIN redirection is very unreliable and only works occasionally with some scanners. The RemoteScan solution works with all TWAIN and WIA scanners, provides compression for quicker transfers, a universal UI no matter what scanner (ease of training), works with all versions of Citrix including XenApp & Desktop, and also offers templates and defaults to help control the available scanning options for the user. In short, we specialize in scanning and are the recognized solution for scanning in virtual environments.
  • Great. Thank you so much for the info. I hope it's as smooth of a transistion as you have laid it out to be.
  • I'm finally trying to test this migration out, but I want to manually copy the correct files to a few user home directories before rolling it out to all of our users, in case something doesn't go right. I ran the remotescan installer on one of the Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit Citrix servers as the domain administrator. I then went to C:\users\administrator.<domainname>\WINDOWS, and was going to copy the Twain_32 folder, and the twain.dll, twain_32.dll, twunk_16.exe, and twunk_32.exe files to another user's home directory, however, those 4 files are not there, only the Twain_32 folder is. I searched for the other files, and found them in this folder: C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-w..ion-twaincomponents_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_89088a6bbd843b3f. Are those the files I should copy to the user's home directories? I noticed they have significantly newer modified dates (all from 2009) than the existing files, and I wanted to be sure that copying these files into the home directories wouldn't break my existing setup. Thanks.
  • That is a very odd and strange location. Check in c:\windows for those files. On a 2008 machine you only need the twain_32.dll and twunk_32.exe (plus the twain_32 folder)
  • Ah yes, I do see the twain_32.dll and twain._32.exe in C:\windows on the 2008 machine, and those must be the ones that the remotescan installer put on the system, since the modified date on both of them is from 12/16/2010 when I ran the installer. I'll copy those files and the twain_32 folder overtop of my test user's home folder and see what happens.
  • Yes please let us know and call or email us. We can connect in very quickly to help troubleshoot this

Thank you
    Glenn
  • If you are just replacing the citrix/TS server then there is no licensing to worry about. Just install the remotescan software on the new server and you are good to go. During the installation on a citrix server it will disable the TWAIN redirection which is required on citrix servers.
  • I do see the twain_32.dll and twain._32.exe in C:\windows on the 2008 machine, and those must be the ones that the remotescan installer put on the system, since the modified date on both of them is from 12/16/2010 when I ran the installer. I'll copy those files and the twain_32 folder overtop of my test user's home folder and see what happens.