This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to connect to platform and Unhandled Exceptions.

As a bit of background I'll quickly explain what's happened recently.

Last week a member of the team accidentally started the wrong Replication scenario which replicates data between our Database servers. As a result, a number of databases became corrupt, including the Foglight NMS database. I used the Foglight Database Administrator tool which is installed as part of the Foglight NMS installation on our server to create a new database and point the software at it. After re-creating my team's user accounts, the software connected fine and was monitoring our network as usual for a few days with no issues.

A week later I was unable to log into the Foglight NMS studio - after a pause of approximately 10 seconds I am given the error "Unable to connect to the platform". I searched for this error on the Quest website's knowledgebase and found the article suggesting to try a couple of things - below are the two steps and the outcomes:

1. Check the database hasn't run out of space - I checked not only the SQL database but also the folder in which the local database files are situated - both have plenty of space.
  1. Check that the credentials used to connect to the database are correct – I connected to our server and attempted to open the Database Administration tool, at which point I am presented with an unhandled exception error stating that “The input string is not a valid binary input” (see below). If I click Continue on this error I am presented with the login screen, however after entering the credentials, I am presented with a second unhandled exception stating “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” (see below). Clicking continue on this error returns me to the Login screen.

I have also noticed that on our server, the Quest NMS Server service is stopping and starting a few times every minute (see below).

I was thinking it may be possible to completely re-install the software however I’ve been unable to locate the installation media anywhere in our software repository – as I mentioned it was set up before I joined the team 8 years ago. The support team at Quest have said they can't help me because there's no record of us ordering the software - this is because it was downloaded back when they did the "free for 100 devices" version and has been running fine since on a server with no access to the internet. I managed to find version 6.8 online and downloaded that but the first thing it does is ask for a license key - which we don't have.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Many thanks,