This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Virtual Standby to ESXI are slow

Appliance: DL4300

Software Version: RapidRecovery 6.1.2.115

ESXI Version: 6.0

ESXI Server Spec: Dell R730x, 24 15k SAS Drives in RAID 6 - Adaptive Read Ahead - Write Back, 64GB RAM, Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz

Problem: Exports from RR to ESXI run below 10MB/s on a 10Gb/s network. Many of our standby's are in the TB per day range, meaning most take approx 20-30 hours to complete. During this time backups of that agent do not take place, leaving the server vulnerable.

Troubleshooting taken with Support:

- All software and hardware updates completed

- Direct 10Gb/s fibre between Core and ESXI

- Pausing all other tasks on the Core and restarting the server

- Change RAID policy to Adaptive Read Ahead and Write Back

Performing an export of an agentless backup last night seemed to run in the 100MB/s+ range, however after checking the logs this morning it dropped back down to 18MB/s after an hour.

Any help is appreciated, and even a comment to say you are experiencing the same and info about your setup will assist.

James

Parents
  • Hey FredBloggs,

So after changing the cache policy in the registry, I was asked to upgrade our RAID controller firmware.

We have a DL4300 appliance which I had upgraded all firmware on (using the IDRAC FTP update utility), however a manual check showed our RAID controller (Perc H730P Mini) was a still version out; Was running 25.3.0.0016, now running 25.5.0.0018. Dell pulled the 25.40.x.xxx driver due to an unresolvable issue, leading to

After the update I now have 15 virtual standby's all running at reasonable speeds of 30-80MB/s, sometimes I do see one go a little slower getting down below 20MB/s however because in the latest version of RR transfers can still take place this isn't having a large of an impact as before were our backup window would be missed.

I would suggest updating your firmware to the latest for all hardware, and ensuring all windows updates are applied.

I have found overall that with exception to "Deleting RPFS File" tasks which can run at 1GB/s+, all other tasks appear to be limited to 100-150MB/s which I suspect is down to the de-dup and compression performance of the repository file system. It's a shame that the data couldn't be cached on a separate RAID array and then de-duped and compressed once the backup has been finished.

Hope this helps, if you want any more info on our setup please feel free to PM me pal. Also a thanks to all at Quest and otherwise which have provided support, I think we are finally getting somewhere with this issue.

James
  • Hey FredBloggs,

So after changing the cache policy in the registry, I was asked to upgrade our RAID controller firmware.

We have a DL4300 appliance which I had upgraded all firmware on (using the IDRAC FTP update utility), however a manual check showed our RAID controller (Perc H730P Mini) was a still version out; Was running 25.3.0.0016, now running 25.5.0.0018. Dell pulled the 25.40.x.xxx driver due to an unresolvable issue, leading to

After the update I now have 15 virtual standby's all running at reasonable speeds of 30-80MB/s, sometimes I do see one go a little slower getting down below 20MB/s however because in the latest version of RR transfers can still take place this isn't having a large of an impact as before were our backup window would be missed.

I would suggest updating your firmware to the latest for all hardware, and ensuring all windows updates are applied.

I have found overall that with exception to "Deleting RPFS File" tasks which can run at 1GB/s+, all other tasks appear to be limited to 100-150MB/s which I suspect is down to the de-dup and compression performance of the repository file system. It's a shame that the data couldn't be cached on a separate RAID array and then de-duped and compressed once the backup has been finished.

Hope this helps, if you want any more info on our setup please feel free to PM me pal. Also a thanks to all at Quest and otherwise which have provided support, I think we are finally getting somewhere with this issue.

James
Children
No Data