This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VRanger, since version 7.1, including 7.3, doesn't actually use Active Block Mapping to run backups.

Since the very first install and through 7.3, VRanger must read the entire VM disk group in order to make a backup. In my case I have 8 VM's with a total of 12TB of space allocated to the Win 2012 R2 volumes in those VM's.

The backup must, by time and appearance, read every block of those volumes in order to determine if anything has changed. This means that when using VRanger to do backups, that the backups take 10 hours of a 10GB ethernet connection.

I've had this issue since version 7.1 installed in 2014. I have completely uninstalled, reinstalled, etc...

After switching to Veeam a full backup takes 3 hours, incremental backups take 20 minutes, for the same VM's. I still have a Vranger contract and have been extremely disappointed with the performance.

I see that 7.5 is out and I'll test it, but I don't expect ABM to actually work in 7.5 when it hasn't worked in 7.1 to 7.3.

Parents
  • I have a strong concern about the following statement:
    "Since the server I backed-up has little data change, since it was done twice, both were differential, I expected the second immediate differential to take less time and to use less repository space."

I always saw it little different. Normally for live VMs each Differential in the same set is larger than previous Diff. Here is from Wiki (en.wikipedia.org/.../Differential_backup)
    "A differential backup is a cumulative backup of all changes made since the last full backup, i.e., the differences since the last full backup."
    So, let's say we have a Full backup, then run 2 Diffs back-to-back. There is no way 2nd Diff will be smaller than 1st one.

I would recommend to open a support case and provide backup tasks logs for investigation.
  • I have a strong concern about the following statement:
    "Since the server I backed-up has little data change, since it was done twice, both were differential, I expected the second immediate differential to take less time and to use less repository space."

I always saw it little different. Normally for live VMs each Differential in the same set is larger than previous Diff. Here is from Wiki (en.wikipedia.org/.../Differential_backup)
    "A differential backup is a cumulative backup of all changes made since the last full backup, i.e., the differences since the last full backup."
    So, let's say we have a Full backup, then run 2 Diffs back-to-back. There is no way 2nd Diff will be smaller than 1st one.

I would recommend to open a support case and provide backup tasks logs for investigation.
Children
No Data