Welcome to the Foglight Community!

Read Blog  Watch Videos  Get Support  Learn More
Foglight Forums
Foglight Forum Posts
Foglight Wikis
Foglight Blog Posts
    • 20 Feb 2017

The Importance of Performance Benchmarking to Decrease Op Ex

Throughout my career I have conversed with many IT leaders that have adopted the practice of measuring the performance of their technology assets by monitoring key performance indicators (or KPIs). Most of them will tell you that there needs to be some standard against which KPIs are measured and compared. The process of comparing a set of key performance metrics against some kind of objective standard is a form of benchmarking...
    • 2 Feb 2017

Foglight for Virtualization: Top 5 Reports You Should be Running (but probably aren't!)

Find out what reports you should be running to gain better insight into your environment.
    • 1 Feb 2017

Creating Rule for User-Defined Queries in Foglight

One of the powerful features of Foglight for Oracle and Foglight for SQL Server is the ability to enter your own database queries (SQL) and have the Foglight collector execute these and return data. Trent Mera wrote a great blog on this topic called User-Defined Collections (UDC). Once the data "hits" Foglight, it can be used like any other metric. For example, you could add the results to a drag 'n drop...
    • 31 Jan 2017

Spotlight on SQL Server Installation Requirements (and Optional Walk-Through)

Installing Spotlight on SQL Server If you’d like to take Spotlight on SQL Server for a spin, this post will tell you what you’ll need to do it in terms of hardware, permissions and settings. First, you’re going to need the installer, which you can get from Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise . Download the .exe file, along with the docs available. The trial software is the full Spotlight product with...
    • 31 Jan 2017

Foglight Skills 101: Send Emails when Alarms Fire

Foglight administrators and other Foglight performance monitoring users who are asked to configure alarms to send email notifications sometimes struggle if they miss a step or two in the process. This post is meant to take you through the basics, and help you be successful the first time. No matter which Foglight cartridges you have installed and have put into use, a few requirements need to be met to send email notifications...
    • 31 Jan 2017

Foglight for SQL Server: Business Intelligence Monitoring - SQL Server Integration Services

Microsoft has evolved their marketing over the past several years to focus on the fact that SQL Server is more than just a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). You may have noticed, that Microsoft commonly now refers to SQL Server as the SQL Server Data Platform, highlighting the fact that SQL Server includes Business Intelligence capabilities, on top of it's industry leading relational database system....
    • 31 Jan 2017

Send a VM Performance Report to a User

Are your users constantly asking for VM performance reports? Get them off your back by following these easy steps!
    • 30 Jan 2017

How Do I Configure Foglight to Send Me Text Message Alerts?

Want to receive Foglight alerts on your mobile device? Follow this guide to learn how!
    • 30 Jan 2017

Monitoring IT Operations in the Datacenter

The question for those in data center operations management is not which tool but rather what combination of tools will provide the right metrics at the right time. Quest solutions are part of the larger IT ecosystem and thus our products tend to integrate well with other complimentary and even competitive solutions. Foglight is one such product. It is often times made the record of truth for enterprise performance monitoring...
    • 30 Jan 2017

Your Performance Monitor Might be Alerting Exactly How You Told it To - Badly

The first lesson in my first computer class in school taught this: “garbage in, garbage out”. The point, of course, was that an information system can only act according to what it’s been told. It can’t read minds and assume what you meant rather than what you’ve told it. Well, maybe some can now, but that’s for another discussion. If you look at your performance monitor as an information...
    • 29 Jan 2017

Installing a New SSL Certificate on Your FMS (In 6 simple steps!)

Follow these simple steps to install your own SSL certificate on your FMS.
    • 27 Jan 2017

How to Turn Off Specific Foglight Alarms

In a previous post, we learned how to disable specific Foglight alarm severities . For example, maybe you don't want a warning alert when cpu utilization is only at 70% - if so, you can disable that, while keeping the rule active to alert when the condition gets worse. After letting Foglight monitor your environment for "a while", you might find some rules that aren't relevant for you. In that case...
    • 27 Jan 2017

Getting Spotlight on SQL Server Deployment Numbers

A customer recently had the need to get a count of the number of SQL Server instances that Spotlight on SQL Server is deployed to. There are several ways to do this, depending on requirements and how fancy you'd like to get. The simplest way is to simply look at the Spotlight interface on the left hand panel for the default "SQL Server" view and note the number of instances that Spotlight is configured...
    • 27 Jan 2017

Fun with the Foglight Rule Editor

A previous post showed how to modify a registry variable to apply a value to a specific host . It would be good if the actual value that is going to be used when the rule fires could be validated. The "Run Condition Query" feature in the Rules Editor will help. As a reminder, here are the scoped values that we used for the Page In rate. The global value is 256.0. We scoped the value to host fglstudent5...
    • 26 Jan 2017

Setting Different Alarm Thresholds for Different Hosts

In a previous post, the Rules dashboard was used to show how to modify the global value of an alarm threshold . For this particular rule, that value would then apply to all hosts that are being monitored. What if we only want a subset of hosts to take on a different value? This tutorial will show you how to do that. Starting in the Rules dashboard, locate the rule to modify. Clicking the button shown in the image below...
    • 26 Jan 2017

Spotlighting the 3:00AM Call

As a former database administrator , one of my biggest concerns was getting a call in the middle of the night. Sometimes the call would be a system alarm going off, but most of the time it was a member from an overseas we supported. There is nothing l...
    • 25 Jan 2017

Do you know what your applications look like? Application Topology even for Composite applications

The bigger the application, and the more composite it is, understanding its Topology becomes a lot more important. What is connected to what? How are the flows for the transactions? Where are the bottlenecks and the slowdowns? I have seen some really ugly Topology diagrams. The one that comes to mind was one that one of my customers showed me. It was a ring. I should say it was like a pearl necklace, with about 50 pearls...
    • 25 Jan 2017

A Blog About the Foglight Alarm Log

I recently showed a customer how to modify the thresholds and severity levels of Database alarms by using the Foglight for Databases administration dashboard. A follow-up question was about how to do the same thing for alarms that were appearing for ...
    • 24 Jan 2017

What are Foglight services and what do they mean to me?

In a number of different areas, you will notice a reference to ‘services’. What are these and why should I care? Services could change the way you interact with Foglight. Services are nothing more than a group of objects. You can create static lists of specific objects (something like all the most critical servers, or all the servers in a specific site, etc…), or dynamic lists that are built and maintained...
    • 24 Jan 2017

Application Monitoring, where should I start? What are the colors that Van Gogh used?

It’s been amazing how much creativity and innovation is out there. Customers have been teaching me a lot over the last 20 plus years. Two identical applications behave differently for two different clients and their different customers and in their different environments. I am a Van Gogh fan. Like any Van Gogh painting, you see beautiful and mostly bright colors, and the amazing shades that are used. There are some...
    • 24 Jan 2017

java monitoring instrumentation levels, who would know better than you?

Java Monitoring for Dev, Test, QA and Prod environments & collection options Best part of my job over the last 20+ years is working with more than 200 companies and working very closely with a few dozens. The variety that I have been exposed to has helped me learn a lot from these diverse environments and the people involved. Most companies, especially the ones with Performance Teams, have interesting guidelines...
    • 24 Jan 2017

Do you know where your java transactions are, part 2

Java Workload Characterization – Part 2. My 3, 5, 7, 10 Rule I hope you had a chance to look at do you know where your java transactions are, my Java Workload Characterization – Part 1 blog. And I love to hear what else you can add or suggest to our audience. Here in this part two, I like to cover some additional dimensions to my monitoring. Occasionally you end up working for one very large composite...
    • 23 Jan 2017

A casual conversation leads to success

I was working with a customer the other day that hosted equipment for a number of companies. He was not an ISP, but more a small cloud provider. He had about 25 clients that used his services. He liked what Foglight had to offer for performance monitoring software tools and was going to implement it so he could monitor his environment more effectively. We got to talking and he told me about a project they were working...
    • 20 Jan 2017

Sounds like a Plan!

The famous Yankee, Yogi Berra once said, “If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.” This applies to lots of different things and since this is a blog about SQL, you likely know where I am going with this - Execution Plans. Simply put, Execution Plans, sometimes referred to as Query Plans, are maps of the query's data retrieval methods. In my spare time, I am an avid...
    • 20 Jan 2017

What was my Database Waiting on Overnight?

The data that we get in Foglight Performance Investigator for SQL Server and Oracle is shown on the default dashboards to provide actionable insights. But sometimes you want to get a bit more granular. There was a report in the deprecated Performance Analysis that showed wait events broken down by hour. A customer recently asked me to duplicate the report using the Performance Investigator data. There is a manual...
Recommended For You