Happy New Year and Welcome Back!
The big question we get when we return from the holidays is always, “What are your New Year’s resolutions?” What makes the question so difficult is that we know that, all too often, the resolutions we make in January are broken by March.
I have a better idea. Here’s a list of New Year’s resolutions for your IT team — resolutions that you can truly keep and that will help you improve your IT management and endpoint security all year long.
New Year's Resolutions
- We will look at what potential security threats and risks we have across our entire network from the outside in, including the user, the device, the network and the data. There are too many threats out there to keep our heads in the sand with regard to vulnerability management and endpoint protection.
- We will get device discovery software that enables us to know about all of the devices connecting to our network and client management software to track them through their lifecycles. Otherwise, there is no way we can manage the ever-increasing number of devices and keep our network secure.
- This is the year we will begin to fully document and implement a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) strategy and policy. We’ve been putting this off for too long. There are just too many devices and ad hoc connections these days to not have a formal process in place. This is the year.
- We will reduce the number of IT systems management tools and put a centralized endpoint management solution in place. It’s crazy to keep bouncing from tool to tool for each of our different devices and platforms.
- We will ensure that we have fully automated patch management software, a configuration management tool and associated processes in place. We will also invest in a remote administration tool for further IT automation. We need to know that everything is up to date and secure.
- We will cut the silos across our organization and take a holistic approach to managing and securing our environment. We can no longer afford the limitations of technology tunnel vision.
Trust me. Anyone can lose a few pounds, but these resolutions will help you sleep better at night.
To learn more about how enterprise security software can enable you to keep these resolutions and empower your IT team to efficiently manage and secure a wide range of corporate and user-owned devices, be sure to read our new e-book, “Technology Tunnel Vision, Part 2: Centralized management for all connected devices.”