Topic: Transitioning from iReport to Jaspersoft Studio for Stat reports.
End of Life Notice: The Jaspersoft iReport product will only be supported until the end of 2015.
Maintenance and creation of new reports will be done in the sister product Jaspersoft Studio (JSS)
The following Blog is a Part II in the series on Stat and the new Jaspersoft Studio (JSS) toolkit for creating and modifying reports within the Stat application.
If you have not installed Jaspersoft Studio (JSS) into your Stat environment please see the first in the series entitled “Stat Reporting: Intro to Jaspersoft Studio (P-I of a series)”.
This blog will focus on porting over your existing reports from iReport to the Jaspersoft Studio (JSS). Most of the reports within Stat open fine within the new JSS Studio application.
I just about wore out my internet browser searching for a definitive guide on the differences between iReport and JSS. As I have been testing over the last week I have noticed a few items of note.
These are bulleted as the following.
iReport vs. Jaspersoft Studio:
- Loading reports created in iReport to JSS issues a warning related to “PDF Font Warning”.
- Positional/Label Changes of Report View. See Below.
- Runtime User Input Changes. See Below.
- The iReport “Report Inspector” is now called “Report Outline” in JSS and by default has been moved down the left hand edge.
- The iReport “Datasource” is now referred to as “Data Adapters” in JSS.
- Some people have experienced text sizing issues with Static Text Fields. I did not see this issue. Your mileage may vary.
1: PDF Font Warning:
Loading reports created in iReport to JSS issues a Warning related to “PDF Font Warning”.
A closer look at the warning refers to the depreciation of the Font “Arial_Bold” as inherited as a PDF type font.
If you receive this warning in your reports please see the following links on the Jaspersoft User Community for tips on resolving the issue.
- See: http://community.jaspersoft.com/questions/535877/pdf-font-name-now-deprecated-why
- See: http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/sample.reference/fonts/index.html
- See: http://community.jaspersoft.com/jaspersoft-studio/issues/4461
2. Positional/Label Changes:
Positional/Label Changes of Report View. Specifically the Design/XML/Preview views:
3. Run Time User Input Changes:
Run time User Input Changes:
4. Report Inspector vs. Report Outline:
The iReport “Report Inspector” is now called “Report Outline” in JSS and by default has been moved down the left hand edge.
5. Data Sources:
The iReport “Datasource” is now referred to as “Data Adapters” in JSS.
6: Static Text Sizing:
Some people have experienced text sizing issues with Static Text Fields. As I have not encountered the issue I am unable to document it.
If you have encountered the issue please do leave a comment below explaining the issue and how you resolved it.
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog and I hope you found it informative.
William R. Hart
Dell | Pre-Sales, Quest Software, Inc