Bulk, centralized PST importing

Hi, everybody.

I'd like to know if there is any tool whithin Archive Manager that will allow for centralized PST importing in batches, instead of running the tool from each client computer.  Otherwise, if the client tool can be invoked from the command line so to run it via script.

Also, I'd like to know if there are plans to enable the PST import utility to work when users don't have administrative privileges for their computers.

Thanks,

Mario
  • The PST Import Wizard (from the Download Tools section) is actually designed to be run by an administrator from a central location. It does not require to be installed on each client PC.
    The idea with the PST Import Wizard is for you to collect all PST into a central location, run the wizard, and point it to a batch of PST files which will process them into the Export directory. There are various options but this is the basic idea.
  • Hi.

Thank you very much for the response.

What about determining the PST files the users have configured in their profiles'?  Does the tool examine the MAPI profile in the users' computers to discover what PST files to import?

Thanks,

Mario
  • As far as I know there are three methods/utilities for processing PST files:

1. PST Merge
    2. PST Collect
    3. PST Import (which is described previously)

The PST Merge utility runs from a users login script and will process the PST files attached to the users Outlook profile. The PST files will be pushed into the users Outlook/Exchange account and based on the policies which you have in place in Archive Manager the data will be pushed into Archive Manager. You also have the option to remove the PST file from the users Outlook profile and remove the option for generating PST files. All the folder structure in the PST files will be preserved.

The PST Collect utility runs from a users login script and will process the PST files attached to the users Outlook profile. The PST files will be pushed to a configurable location to be processed later. This utility can be configured to remove PST files from the users Outlook profile and also remove the option to generate PST files.

• Hi, gmw_australia.

Could you please point me to further documentation on the PST Merge and PST Collect utilities you mention?  I don't recall seeing any mention of them in the product documentation, only the PST Import utility.  Or perhaps it's the MAPI Data Loader?

Best regards,

Mario
  • Sorry I don't have any doco for this but I'm sure if you ask Quest Support they'd be able to point you in the right direction.
  • hello ,

Can somebody send me these 2 tools on e-mail?
    1. PST Merge
    2. PST Collect
     I am preparing PST migration scenario for my customer and I have heard from support that I can get these tools here. Thanks

Grzegorz

• Tools are available to download at ftp://wmuser:wmuser1@ftp.uk.quest.com/download/pst tools/pst_tools.zip

WARNING:
    Use them with caution and make sure to read all the documentation included as these tools are not supported by Quest Technical Support team.